Hello there members of my hive! Now, if you AREN'T yet a member, what are you waiting on? If you want to stay in the loop with industry news, happenings, and how-to's this is the place to be! Sign Up Here
On to today's topic, which is talking about your website. First things first, you have a website, right? I sure hope your answer is an enthusiastic, "YES, of course I do!" But if you don't, let me assure you, YOU NEED ONE. Let's briefly recap why:
1. You don't own Facebook, Instagram, Youtube, Pinterest, Snapchat, Twitter, Periscope etc.!! This means you don't own your followers or the content you share there.
2. Social media should be a means to convert people to a platform you DO own; like your website!
3. You have full control over your website. You control what is on your website, your address, hours, means of contact, the amount of information you want to share with your customers, and the amount of content you want to provide them.
4. Your website is an extension of your brand. Your customers are online and it's your job to be where they are. It's up to you to find them, not for them to have to find you - so BE THERE.
Okay, now that we understand the importance of having a website, we can move onward to discussing maintaining and improving your website. And if you're thinking, "Hold up there, miss Queen Bee, I have a website. Do I really need to make updates??"
YES! The answer is Yes you do! Let me break it down for you.
Google reads sites. Constantly. As it reads sites, it ranks them by relevancy and their ability to serve the people. Let me ask you this. Do you want to be on the first page of Google? Do you want customers and potential audience members to see you? If you answered yes, then keep reading. If you could care less about being found by your customers, then you can carry on with your day because this information won't serve you.
Because Google reads sites constantly, any time new content is published online by you or your competitors, Google is going to see this, and change the rankings based on this. They do this for global, national and yes, even local businesses and content sites. Imagine you create and publish a website, and then you let it sit there for a full year. Sometime during that year, your competitor begins posting new content on their website. A new business opens up and they launch a brand new website and they too, post updates. Your ranking will suffer. Your customers will start visiting your competitor.
Don't be that business. It may not impact you today, or tomorrow. But, it will bite you. Hard. When it does, it will be too late. Building up your ranking doesn't happen over night. It takes time, dedication, and fine tuning. It would take months to regain traction, and the kicker is, if your competitors continue to make solid updates during this timeframe, you're in a grueling uphill battle.
You may think, but really, my traffic doesn't come from a website, or anywhere online, for that matter, so why would I care about my ranking? There may be some truth to that, today at least. However, you might be shocked to know that Boomers are some of the largest consumers of technology and buying into all that smart tech has to offer. Younger generations will continue to grow up and eventually, will be your target audience. By that time, it will be paramount to your business success to be right there, ready and waiting for them. They aren't as loyal to a brand as other generations were. Therefore, if you're not building your ranking now, it will be harder to build it down the line.
So, is there a magic formula to follow, you may be wondering. No, unfortunately there is not. However, there are tactics and proven techniques that can help guide you. For starters, it is paramount to post updated content and refresh your webpage a minimum of twice a year. The more consistent your updates are, the better. Consider making updates once per month. Some ideas to help get you brainstorming actionable steps to put into practice include:
- Change out you header image (the image at the top of your website) to stay relevant with the seasons and time of year
- Update your product images
- Add news stories or press about your business or the industry
- Publish your case studies on your website
- Tap into the power of a blog
If you understand the need to make regular updates, but don't have the time or staff to take on this task, reach out to me. As a full-service Public Relations firm, we can:
- Take professional images for your business
- Craft press releases
- Develop and deploy case studies to industry specific trade publications
- Create relevant blog content
- and most importantly, CREATE and MAINTAIN websites.
Lack of time or knowledge is not an adequate reason to remain stagnant or struggle. You're not alone, and I want to provide you the opportunity to continue focusing on what YOU do excel at (running your business), and leave the rest to us. If you feel that your website is crushing it, send me your website for a free audit!
Keep buzzin' you wonderful business owners and creators.
- Owner and Chief Strategist,